Wednesday, January 26, 2005

A New Respect

On Sunday, I actually managed to paint Pea's room. Going into it, I thought it would be pretty easy. John wanted to hire someone to do it, but when the original guy never returned our call, I decided that I wanted to do it myself. John was busy over the weekend, and since it was my project, he left it all to me.

I started taping the room on Friday night, then continued a bit on Saturday morning before I went out of town, and then finished on Sunday morning. I probably spent about 2 hours taping. There's a vanity area attached to Pea's room that is pretty open, so that had to be painted as well, and provided many extra nooks and crannies that I didn't think about.

So finally around 11:00 or so on Sunday morning, I got started with the painting. I did the hard wall first (the one with the windows) and am glad I did or else I never would have finished. I painted most of the day and only took a few breaks for snacks and such, and did not finish everything until about 7:00. Then spent another 45 minutes cleaning up and helping John put back on the plates for the plugs.

Three days later, I am still sore. On Monday I felt like I ran a marathon the day before. I haven't really worked out or exercised much since being pregnant, so that was one extreme workout! I will never again think that a painter's job is easy - they have my respect. Although I'm sure it is much easier for a professional than me!

All in all, I'm very happy with the way the room turned out, and there's a sense of pride in having done it myself. I hoped to be able to post pictures of the room, but those that know me on here know that I am notoriously bad about showing pictures. I actually took some though, so I will try to post them later.

The color we ended up with turned out a bit pinkier than we had originally thought, but it's not too overwhelming or "pepto" colored. It still has a bit of a lavendar tone to it, but I think most people would call it pink. John was a little shocked by it at first, but I know he's happy with it too.

So this weekend we'll order furniture and start trying to fill up the empty space. Progress!

3 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

I can relate! I'm not a 'nursery' type person (that is: decorating the room specifically for baby) but when we moved into our house I was forced to paint! The wee little room that was to be the nursery had been the previous owners' "girls" room and MAN was it TACK-eeee!

It was literally pepto bismol pink. no lie. A horrible, DARK, open-wound pink. *shudder*

So me Mum and I spent 3 days painting it. We had to repaint it every day for 3 days. The first two coats showed that horrible pink right through!

I'm so glad yours worked out beautifully. :)

-Blue / the thrifty mom blog

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

Way to go painter girl! Can't wait to see some photos! Very impressed :)

Jackie

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger ~Tanya~ said...

Hope to see that nursery soon! I am sure it will be perfect colorwise once you get all the accessories in place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home