Monday, December 20, 2004

The Doctor is Out?

So I'm just not really thrilled about my doctor right now. I started going to him (Dr. L) when I first found out I was pregnant (the first time) because he was recommended and because he was in the medical center. He was very good to me during my first loss, was very supportive, and did my D&C. Everything went fine.

I continued to see him and after the second miscarriage, he commented that he didn't like the dip my chart was doing after ovulation and put me on clomid for a "stronger" ovulation. I was on clomid for 3 months and had great timing and trigger shots and nothing happened. I doubted the clomid, so just went off of it and figured I'd go in for testing soon - and got pregnant two cycles later.

After the 3rd loss, he recommended me to an RE, which is what I wanted. I knew this wasn't his specialty and wanted to go to someone who knew what to do. My RE (Dr. B) was wonderful and I had a great experience with him. He had no concern about the dip in my chart and saw no reason I should have been on clomid. After I made it to the 10 week mark with this pregnancy, I returned to my regular doctor. Dr. B even commented about what a great doctor I was going to (Dr. L).

The problem started at my 16 week appointment. Dr. L advised me to try to gain 1 pound a month for the first 6 months, and then 1 pound a week for the last 3 months. By my calculations, that is only 18-19 pounds. I was not overweight to begin with (although I could always stand to lose about 10 pounds) and I thought this was a little low, but I wasn't too worried. But at 16 weeks, I had gained about 3-4 pounds since my 12 week appointment. Dr. L mentioned this and I blamed my vacation. He commented that since I was no longer on vacation, I should try a little harder.

At my 20 week appointment, I was up another 3 pounds. I was totally stressed out about it, so I mentioned it first. He wasn't thrilled about it and gave me some hints about not putting on too much weight (like avoid carbs - yeah right! - and eating less - hello? I'm always hungry). I was a little frustrated because although I do find myself eating more, I'm not eating really bad things. I usually have an extra piece of fruit or granola bar or something. Or I just eat more of my meal. Dr. L says the more weight you gain, the bigger the baby will be. I've never really heard of that as a concern so early in a pregnancy. And I'm only 5'1" myself, so I don't think I'm going to have a huge baby anyway.

So, before my appointment this week, I was completely stressed out about the weight again. And sure enough, I had gained 4 pounds in just 3 weeks. I know he wasn't happy about this at all, but he didn't mention it. During the appointment, I asked him about constipation (which hey - maybe that is why I weighed so much more this time) and he started to give me some advice. I interrupted him (but not rudely) to mention something and he rudely says "Just listen - I'm not done yet". I thought it was very uncalled for. Also, when we were done with the appointment, I started to say something and he just kept walking out of the room and closed the door. Nice! Maybe he was just having a bad day.

But the thing that frustrated me the most were these two things. First, he asked AGAIN about the folic acid Dr. B put me on and how long Dr. B wanted me to stay on it. He asked me this in my past 2 appointments too, and I replied with the same answer - for the whole pregnancy. Dr. L then proceeded to tell me that he didn't think I needed it anymore since folic acid is used primarily to prevent birth defects. Ok, maybe so - but Dr. B said to stay on it! I told him I had about 2 months left in my prescription and he said "that's fine, but I don't think you need it". He didn't mention this the other two times, why now? Maybe I don't really need it, but why would I go off it if the RE said not to? Uggg.

So the next thing was a little similar. I have a blood disease called Thalassemia. I have known I had this for a long time and it really doesn't cause any problems, although I don't know too much about it. I know it's bad when both parents have it and John doesn't. I do know that many doctors think you are anemic when you have this and I was given iron pills when I was little before they knew I had it because they thought I was anemic. Dr. L knows I have this. Last appointment (20 weeks) he mentioned that I was a little anemic and that my blood levels in September (at 12 weeks) were a little worse when I last got tested in his office in March. But he said that because of the Thalassemia, he didn't want to give me extra iron. Ok.

Well, when I went in last week, I didn't have any new blood tests and he again mentioned I was a little anemic. I said yes, we talked about that last time and you didn't want to give me iron because of the Thalassemia. And he says, "Well, I think I'd like to try the iron pills now". I was a little surprised and probably didn't ask the questions I should have. I'm really confused that if nothing has changed, why does he want me to take iron now when he didn't want me to 3 weeks ago?

Can you tell I'm a little frustrated? I think he's a good doctor and I don't want to change this late in the game. But I was just really put off. Any advice out there in blog-land? Do I just stick it out? I'm just not sure I'm getting the best advice right now. I feel very confident that he will be great with L&D, but I will probably leave him after the baby is born. Not the greatest bedside manner at all!

2 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

Lauren, I really think you should go with your gut on this one. You don't need to feel stressed after going to the doctor - they are supposed to put your at ease. Whether he's having a bad day or not, that's not your problem. Just reading your blog, I don't feel comfortable with his advice. Telling a pregnant women to stay away from carbs!!! HELLO - fruits and veggies are carbs and you need whole grains to nourish you and your baby. Nevermind that you get energy from carbs. I don't think that you can put all women into the same category when it comes to weight gain during pregnancy. I mean if you were out there eating McDonalds everyday then I would say he's right, but it doesn't sound like you're doing that. If you're hungry, you need to eat.

As for the folic acid - obviously your RE knows what he's doing and I wouldn't change anything there. And the iron pills, I can't give you any advice there, but if there's a chance at a second opinion I'd get it. Can you tell I'm frustrated for you?

I hope that didn't come off as a lecture or anything - I just don't think you deserve to feel like that after a trip to your doc.

(((HUGS))) Jackie

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

GRRRRR!!! I cringed as I read this - your doctor has horrible bedside manner! Being pregnant is stressful enough without having the weight Nazi driving you crazy, or trying to make you second-guess everything your RE recommended. I agree that you should go with your gut feeling in this case. I'm sorry you had to go through this, especially at this point in your pregnancy. (((HUGS)))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home